It’s easy to slip into a habit of always complimenting someone based on the way they look. Your eyes overpower your brain when it comes to noticing things about other people. Make sure the people close to you know that you value them for more than their outer appearance because people are complex and the majority of what makes them special to you comes from the things you can’t see.
Here are a few ideas for complimenting someone without commenting on the way they look.
- You’re unique.
- I like your voice.
- You’re helpful.
- I think your ideas/beliefs matter.
- I’m so happy to know you.
- I like listening to what you have to say.
- You’re a kind and warm hearted person.
- It’s nice seeing such kindness.
- I like how down to earth you are.
- You have a beautiful soul.
- You inspire me to become a better person.
- Our conversations make me happy.
- It’s good to see how passionate you are about ____.
- You’re so understanding.
- You matter a lot to me.
- You’re important.
- You’re intelligent.
- Your passion is contagious.
- Your confidence is refreshing.
- You restore my faith in humanity.
- You’re very creative.
- You’re so talented at ____.
- I don’t get tired of you the way I get tired of other people.
- You have great taste in ___.
- I wish more people were like you.
What’s you favorite non-appearance based compliment?